Friday, April 17, 2009

Butt-Ass-Naked


Have you ever felt like you were completely exposed?

In my experience, while it is somewhat disconcerting at first, it is quite liberating.

The last time I felt like that was about a month ago while giving a presentation to four big-whig execs inside a small conference room of the manufacturing facility of the largest industrial manufacturer in Jacksonville. "This is my account," I thought. "This is the first step to the rest of my career. Don't blow it!" (Don't we always do this in these situations. Blow them up in our minds like balloons that are bound to burst at any second.) Nervous, yet prepared and confident, I did great.
I remember the turning point. It came just after I stuttered and stammered my way through a defensive explanation of our position in the face of a ridiculing question from the Largest man in the room. He was short, he spoke with an accent, and he didn't exactly look like a "Man with the Plan." He was smooth though. His game was like Billy from White Men Can't Jump; disguised and sudden enough that you didn't know he 'got you' until it was too late. As I spoke, he stared me down as if to weigh my composure with each of his now very aware eyes. When I finished, full of myself on adrenaline, I directed a deliberate glance with a quarter-cocky smile toward him. He smiled back approvingly and I felt about thirty times better. Better, not because I felt "clothed", but better, because I now felt comfortable in my own skin.

I guess it has been a necessary skill for me to acquire in my 26 years as a red-headed, freckle-faced, allergic-to-air ginger with mild astigmatism. At a certain point, a Man must shrug his shoulders, laugh at himself a little bit, confidently slap the court hard with both hands, look those whom you fear dead in the eyes, and do whatever it is that you do.

"This is me, Butt-Ass-Naked."

Do More Now

No comments:

Post a Comment